Mon 10 Jul 2017
For those considering selling a property follow our top tips to get the most out of your free valuation.
4 TIPS TO FOLLOW WHEN BOOKING A VALUATION
1. Invite out the experts
"Every house is unique, so if you are thinking about selling a property, it is a good idea arrange a market appraisal with a trusted local estate agent. To provide you with an accurate guide price, they will take into account the individuality of your home, where it is placed in the market, recent property sales in the immediate area including your street and what the level of demand is from registered buyers." David Woodcock, Valuer at John German Estate Agents in Loughborough.
2. Decide what your moving goals are
Market appraisals are usually offered for free, so make the most of this when meeting your local estate agent. Be prepared; before their visit jot down what your main aims are. Are you looking to sell immediately or waiting to find a property to move into first or wondering whether to carry out home improvements instead? A good estate agent should be honest and open with you, providing appropriate advice to match your needs.
3. Questions to ask your Estate Agent during a valuation
If you are serious about selling your property, the valuation/property visit should be used to help you choose the right estate agent. To help you stay relaxed and focus, have a list of questions written down to ask your estate agent during the valuation. Here are a few key questions we'd recommend:
- How many similar properties have you sold and what prices did they sell for?
- How long did they take to sell?
- How many buyers have you got looking in my price range?
- Where will you advertise my property?
- Which redress scheme do you belong to?
- Are you licenced and adhere to a code of practice?
- Can I see a copy of your terms and conditions?
- What estate agency qualifications do you and your staff have?
- What charges do you make apart from your agency fees?
- Do you do accompanied viewings at no extra charge?
- Can you arrange weekend and evening viewings?
- How do you check that buyers can afford a property?
- How do you follow up with prospective buyers after they've viewed a property?
- Are floor plans and pictures included in my property details?
- What do you do after my sale is agreed?
4. Treat your valuation like a first date
Deciding on which estate agent to use to sell your property is an important decision to make and one to get right, after all the one you pick will be dealing with your house sale for up to 3 months and in some cases much longer. This is a relationship you need to be comfortable with and one that you have confidence in. The valuation is in some ways like a first date; according to psychologists within the first 8 seconds of meeting somebody you decide on how you feel about the person and whether you have chemistry with them or not. Do you have an instant like/dislike towards your agent? Do they give a good first impression? Are they warm and open?
We can't stress enough the importance of choosing the right estate agent, you need to be able to trust them to do the right thing for you, and to be there if any problems occur before or after a sale is agreed. Make a wrong decision and it could cost you financially and emotionally in the long run.
Don't just get a feel for the valuer, also pop into the local branch to see whether you are greeted with a warm welcome and by people who are interested in helping you.
Go with your gut, if it feels right to you go for it! It could be a match made in heaven!
Begin your moving journey with an instant online valuation, it’s that simple it’s child’s play!
Deciding to sell a property is a big decision and it can be difficult to know where to start. To get an idea about the value of your property, simply fill in our online form to receive an instant valuation.
"Just to say a big thank you to you all for the excellent service you gave us throughout the sale of our house! Having Simon come to value it back in February, we took a long time to decide to put it on the market having lived there for 28 years! After many valuations later we took the decision in June to put it on the market. I knew we would choose yourselves as you have never been pushy or pestering. We would not hesitate to recommend you to anyone as you made it all go so well!"