Fri 30 Oct 2015
1. Grab a washing basket, and go through each room removing any bits and pieces that don’t belong there: paperwork, laundry, dirty dishes, shoes – anything that’s cluttering up the space. Pop the basket in your car, out of sight.
2. Swap the towels in the bathroom for freshly laundered ones. Even better is to have new white fluffy towels that you keep especially for viewings.
3. Make up the master bed with laundered or new bedding. Again, if you can keep some new bedding to throw on for viewings, it will always look at its best. One tip is to put your usual duvet cover and pillow cases over the top of your special ones, and whip them off for viewings – ta da!
4. Open a window in each room to let some fresh air into your house – only a fraction if it’s cold!
5. Make sure the heating is on, and light the fire if you have one. If you don’t have time, or the weather is too warm, fill the grate with church candles and light them for a cosy glow.
6. Unless it’s an extremely bright day, switch on any lamps you have and leave the overhead lights off in the bedrooms.
7. Create the right atmosphere with low and relaxing music, to encourage your viewers to linger over their viewing.
8. Make sure your home smells as good as it looks: spray beds with a tiny spray of perfume, pop a tumble drier sheet in the bottom of all your bins, and put a vanilla pod in the oven on a low heat for a subtle, homely scent. If you don’t have one, try some drops of vanilla or lemon juice in a bowl of water and put that in the oven.
9. Raid your garden (or ask a neighbour) for some greenery and colour, and arrange in vases. Even in winter, you can usually find some sprigs of foliage to add some life and interest to your home.
10. Finally – give yourself a mini-makeover! Make sure your outfit is smart, your shoes are clean (never slippers!) and you are well-groomed and looking professional. Your image should reflect that of your home – neat, well-kept and stylish.
Keep these tips taped to the inside of a kitchen cupboard, so you can implement them quickly, and make sure everyone is well-trained so they can leap into action when required!
We at John German are always here for help and advice on any aspect of buying or selling your home – feel free to contact any of our branches for further advice.
"Thank you for enabling our purchase of Harrington Walk to go smoothly and especially for all the 'updates' - much appreciated!"