Thu 14 Dec 2017
These simple tips will help you prepare your house for whatever weather is thrown at us over the next few months!
- Make sure all pipes are properly lagged to prevent them from bursting in freezing temperatures
- Setting the heating system to come on when the property is empty is a good idea too, this will also help prevent pipes from freezing
- Check loft insulation is adequate and windows and doors are well sealed to stop the heat escaping
- Pay attention to any leaking taps and get them repaired
- It's not fun when a boiler breaks down in the winter - book an annual service for the boiler and central heating system to avoid any chilly surprises
- Clear gutters of leaves and other debris and check joints are sealed
- Check that the eaves, facias and roof are in good repair and fix any loose tiles
- Arrange for any repointing work to be done to prevent damp seeping into the brickwork
- Fit an isolator to the stop cock of outdoor taps
- Stock up on light bulbs and candles!
- Stock up on rock salt to clear paths/driveways in preparation for a white winter
Related article - Is selling my house in the winter a good idea?
"To everyone at John German, a big, heartfelt thank you to you all for your advice and professional support in completing the sale of our family home Whitegates. We are truly grateful to you. "