Mon 23 Jan 2017
Renting out your property can be quite daunting – you are trusting possibly one of your biggest assets to strangers. Therefore, finding the right tenants to rent your property is paramount.
How to find great tenants
So how do you make sure your tenants are going to look after your home and pay your rent on time? Finding tenants isn't hard, but finding really good ones can be.
Your tenant may not have invested in a property but a good tenant will have invested in an area – long term jobs, no benefits, no pets and family and friends in the area all mean they are likely to want to stay a good while.
But if you want a long-term tenant they are likely to want a home worthy of a long-term stay!
Top five things to consider to attract the right tenants:
1. Carpets and flooring – spend some money on ensuring these are all new. It will make your home seem very welcoming, and both you and the tenant will know the condition it was in when you handed over the keys – meaning they are much more likely to look after it with every spill soon tended to.
2. Branded white goods – if you are renting with appliances as part of the deal, you have to keep them in good repair. Your tenant doesn't want broken machinery and it doesn't take many repairman visits to have topped the cost of buying better in the first place.
3. Power showers – if you want power tenants they want power showers. It's a must – and a dedicated cubicle with high pressure water beats one over a bath every time.
4. Combi boilers – they are efficient for the tenant, who has hot water on demand at the lowest cost, and for you with less maintenance.
5. Top management – most good tenants prefer dealing with a management company rather than the landlord. As well as keeping personalities out of it, tenants have the reassurance of a quick and professional response for when problems do crop up.
Choosing the right letting agent can be difficult, our landlord guide could help you make the right decision.
Find out your property's rental potential
If you are thinking of letting out your property, we are happy to give you advice on its rental potential, and which aspects of the let we can help you with. Contact John German Lettings & Management today.
"Fantastic, friendly staff who were always happy to help. Nothing was ever to much."