Fri 08 Sep 2017
There was a fantastic piece in the Sunday Times a few weeks ago highlighting the reasons why more people should consider buying a property here in the Midlands.
"The heart of England beats to a different pulse. It often gets a bad press - when it gets any press at all. You won't see much of the grand old shire counties of the West Midlands in the style pages or gossip mags, but the canny buyer would do well to take a closer look at the ring of counties that surround Birmingham." the newspaper comments.
As one of the largest independent estate agents in the Midlands we couldn't agree more with the Times' article. It's about time the flag was flown for our humble region which has plenty of things going for it despite what the naysayers say (Jeremy Clarkson being one of them).
So, for those who may never had considered living in the Midlands, we list 7 reasons to buy a property in one of our wonderful counties:
1. House prices are on the up!According to a survey published by homes.co.uk the East and West Midlands are experiencing a post-recovery property boom. Both areas are most improved in the past 12 months with prices up by 6.5% in the East Midlands and 4.3% in the West Midlands, when compared to a 3.3% rise for England and Wales and 0.4% in Greater London.
2. In the centre of it allThe counties are geographically placed across the heart of England and Wales which means access into London, Manchester and holiday hotspots of Wales and the West Country couldn't be any easier. Also, the growing popularity of central Birmingham means the Midlands is increasingly a cool place to be.
3. Variety is the spice of lifeStaffordshire is arguably one of the most varied counties in the country. It's like a jigsaw puzzle with a piece in the industrial Black Country being north of Birmingham, one in the Peak District, another in the deeply rural countryside along its western edge, whilst its northern tip reaches up to 'posh' Cheshire.
4. No pretenceThere are plenty of high-achieving schools, including some of the most famous independents in the country, and you do get a lot of house for your money. Despite having wealth in the area, the region is refreshingly down-to-earth, people are more about friends and family rather than being flashy and pretentious.
5. Well connected for commutersBy train there are regular services into London, Manchester and Birmingham, along with easy access to the M6 and M6 Toll. From some places in the region you can be in London in just over an hour.
6. Sense of space & value for money
There's a real sense of space in the Midlands which you don't seem to find anywhere south of Brum, with houses occupying larger plots and often retaining unconverted outbuildings and stables.
A great example of this is Callingwood Hall in Tatenhill, Staffordshire - with a guide price of £950,000, you get to own a stunning Grade II Listed detached house sitting on a 2-acre plot overlooking open fields and picturesque countryside beyond.
7. Rich in English heritage
The Midlands is dotted with castles, cathedrals and canals, reminding us just how much our history was forged here. It's worth checking out properties in the wonderful cathedral city of Lichfield, along with towns such as Eccleshall and Abbotts Bromley and the surrounding villages.
Check out the many types of properties we have for sale here, whether you're looking for a cosy cottage in the Derbyshire Dales, a large country residence in rural Staffordshire or a townhouse in Leicestershire, we have it all - the choice is yours!
"I just wanted to thank you and your team so much for your support and help during our recent house sale / purchase. Your personal help during the first few weeks to secure the house of our dreams was amazing and you know that we couldn't have done it without you. Thank you for being there for us all. We would certainly recommend you."