Thu 11 Feb 2016
It’s the start of the Chinese New Year, a good reason to start introducing some feng shui into your home.
Here are some of our favourite tips from feng shui expert Simon Brown:
- Use plants to hide sharp corners and edges, placing them in corners, this encourages a natural flow of energy.
- The room should be bright from bright, from walls through to home furnishings and accessories. This makes it a stimulating place to spend time.
- Good quality light is an important part of feng shui. Position mirrors to reflect natural light throughout the room.
- Arrange your furniture to allow people to interact easily, such as positioning sofas and chairs in a horseshoe shape.
- The kitchen should be simple, clean and focused on food. Hang pictures that inspire healthy eating, such as natural foods or recipes.
- Decorate with colours that are associated with natural foods, such as oranges, yellows and browns.
- Keep fruit, vegetables and herbs on display to represent health and wellbeing.
- When you’re working, sit with your back to the wall and the room in front of you, ideally with a view of the windows and doors. This position is associated with empowerment and confidence.
- Feature pastel shades, such as green, blues, creams and pinks, to create a relaxing environment.
- Imagery can have a great effect on your sense of wellbeing. Hang relaxing and soothing pictures, such as a waterfall or a spa.
- Plants help to clean the air and promote the strong healing aspect of this particular room.
- The bedroom needs to feel warm, dark and dry. Use thick curtains and blinds as well as carpets, rugs and pillows to create a comfortable, cosy space.
- Décor should be pastel shades, such as green, blues, creams and pinks, to evoke a sense of calm.
- The position of your bed is important in feng shui. To tap into morning energy, the top of your head should face east.
"What I thought would be a stressful and frustrating process has turned out to be an experience I have quite enjoyed, not just because I have managed to sell! None of this would have been possible without your guidance, professionalism, judgement and integrity, all of which speaks volumes for you and indeed John German. I would not hesitate to recommend you. "