Thu 17 Nov 2016
The weather has turned; Halloween and Bonfire Night are out of the way and it seems Christmas will be upon us in no time. With this in mind, make sure your home is winter-proof against whatever the British weather decides to throws at us! Here are our top tips:
Winter Proof Your Home - Top Tips
1. Now is a good time to potentially swap energy providers before the bigger bills come rolling in – you may even save yourself some cash for Christmas present shopping!!
2. If you have a specific room prone to getting a little damp, allow the air to circulate, and for the room to be a more consistent in temperature by moving your furniture and objects away from the walls. If possible, arrange re-pointing work to prevent damp.
3. Cover outdoor furniture or better still put it in your garage/shed to protect it from rust until Spring arrives and switch off outdoor taps.
4. Repair any damaged fence panels/posts and trim back large trees to stop any branches falling onto your property in bad weather.
5. Set the timer on your thermostat to keep a regular temperature throughout your house, this could potentially save problems developing such as cracks and burst pipes. This also applies to empty properties.
6. To stop heat escaping, especially in older houses, why not try…
- Lining curtains
- Adding reflective foil behind radiators on external walls
- Check loft insulation is adequate
- Use draught excluders on doors
7. Check gutters for leaves and debris it’s better to do this sooner rather than later before they start leaking.
8. Book an annual boiler service and central heating check before temperatures really start to drop.
9. Check eaves, fascias and the roof are in good repair. Cracks or broken tiles can let in water and lead to damp.
10. Stock up and light bulbs and candles!
11. In case we have a white winter, stock up on rock salt to clear paths and driveways.
Make sure you’ve winter-proofed your home so you can sit back, relax and enjoy the winter season.
"Highly recommend John German Ashby because they handled all three of my sales in two different counties. All three buyers and prices were agreed within a month over the Christmas and New Year periods much quicker than expected. I can honestly say I would recommend to anyone, especially Lizzie Hale."